Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Grilled hamburgers in a foil pouch with lots of veggies. It's fast easy and everyone loves it. I remember making it for my kids all the time.
- 453.59 g ground beef, divided into 4 portions
- 1 large onion, sliced into 4 rings
- 4 large carrots, each pouch gets one sliced
- 4 medium potatoes, washed, each pouch gets one sliced thick, 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick
- 113.39 g margarine
- 4 large piece heavy aluminum foil, each the size of a cookie sheet
- salt & pepper
- Lay out the foil and in the center of each.
- Put a pat of margarine.
- Lay on 1 onion slice and push a burger patty on to it.
- Stack a sliced carrot on one side of the Burger.
- Stack a sliced potato on the opposite side.
- I like to set them on their edge and push them into the burger.
- Salt and pepper to taste and top with another pat of margarine.
- Fold 2 sides to the center and roll to top of Burger.
- Fold up the 2 remaining edges to make a pouch.
- Grill till carrots and potatoes are fork tender, about 30 minutes.
- Or bake at 350 deg for about 30 minutes.
- Great warmed up in the microwave.
Growing up we called these Hobos. My mom always baked them, didn't know you could do them on the grill! Always a big hit in our family. Now I make them for my husband and he loves it too - we add more spices to the meat - garlic powder, maybe some red pepper. It's great!
A quick and easy Friday evening meal when everyone is going in different directions. The patties were nice and juicy but lacked in flavor. Should I do this again I would have to add some seasonings to the meat as the overall flavor was rather bland. PAC Fall 2007