Recipe by karen
My mom made a variation of this when I was a child. It's great for a quick weeknight dinner, and your kids will love it. The original recipe called for Swiss cheese cut into strips, and then placed like spokes on a wheel, but I think it is better with shredded cheddar covering it all. Try it either way.
Top Review by Chocolate Covered Mimz
I just made this and the flavor is really good! I wanted more crust so I did 2 cups of bisquick. I added an onion to my ground beef mixture (half diced and the other half in rings). Then I covered the biscuit crust with the ground beef mixture(which was seasoned with cinnamon, garlic salt, red pepper flakes, brown sugar,white pepper, and fresh cilantro).Added a layer of 1 can of corn, tomatoes, and okra. I then covered this with a layer of shredded carrots and about 3 small green tomatoes. I then added the sauce and stuck in the oven. In the last 5 minutes I added a small layer of cheese because the baby is lactose intolerant. It took a long time to get done but it was worth it. The only reason it's rated 4 stars is because I should have layered the tomatoes differently because there was a bit too much moisture.
- 1 1⁄2 cups Bisquick baking mix
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb hamburger
- garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Brown the hamburger in a hot skillet, stirring to crumble as it cooks. When it is no longer pink, remove from heat and drain grease.
- Mix Bisquick with skim milk. Adjust the mix & liquid as needed to get a good dough consistency that is not too sticky.
- Spray a deep dish pie plate with cooking spray.
- Press dough into the bottom and sides of pie plate.
- Brush with oil.
- Put remaining ingredients on dough in the following order: hamburger, salt, pepper, garlic, and oregano, and basil.
- Cover with tomato sauce and parsley.
- Sprinkle cheese over top.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cut into wedges and serve.