Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
My mom made a variation of this when I was a child. It's great for a quick weeknight dinner, and your kids will love it. The original recipe called for Swiss cheese cut into strips, and then placed like spokes on a wheel, but I think it is better with shredded cheddar covering it all. Try it either way.
- 1 1⁄2 cups Bisquick baking mix
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb hamburger
- garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Brown the hamburger in a hot skillet, stirring to crumble as it cooks. When it is no longer pink, remove from heat and drain grease.
- Mix Bisquick with skim milk. Adjust the mix & liquid as needed to get a good dough consistency that is not too sticky.
- Spray a deep dish pie plate with cooking spray.
- Press dough into the bottom and sides of pie plate.
- Brush with oil.
- Put remaining ingredients on dough in the following order: hamburger, salt, pepper, garlic, and oregano, and basil.
- Cover with tomato sauce and parsley.
- Sprinkle cheese over top.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cut into wedges and serve.
I just made this and the flavor is really good! I wanted more crust so I did 2 cups of bisquick. I added an onion to my ground beef mixture (half diced and the other half in rings). Then I covered the biscuit crust with the ground beef mixture(which was seasoned with cinnamon, garlic salt, red pepper flakes, brown sugar,white pepper, and fresh cilantro).Added a layer of 1 can of corn, tomatoes, and okra. I then covered this with a layer of shredded carrots and about 3 small green tomatoes. I then added the sauce and stuck in the oven. In the last 5 minutes I added a small layer of cheese because the baby is lactose intolerant. It took a long time to get done but it was worth it. The only reason it's rated 4 stars is because I should have layered the tomatoes differently because there was a bit too much moisture.
Very nice recipe! Quick and easy too. I used Bisquick Mix for the bisquick mix and added chopped onions,red bell peppers,mushrooms and black olives. I used Italian sausage in place of hamburger. Made up the sauce with seasonings than added over top of meat and veggies than added cheese on top. Turned out great! Thanks for sharing :)
This was delish and super simple for a nice Monday night meal. I doubled the "crust" and not so much pressed the dough with my hands as spread it with a spoon. Topped with 1.5 lbs of ground beef, cheese, seasonings and baked for 25 minutes. Very tasty and hearty...filled a 9x13 pan easily. Thanks Karen!