Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
There are two other recipes but this one is different; sounds like an easy idea for dinner. From old cookbook.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup instant potato flakes
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1⁄2 cup instant potato flakes, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Saute beef, onion, salt and pepper until browned; drain grease.
- Add instant potato flakes, egg, ketchup, pickle relish, and mustard.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine 1/4 cup potato flakes with melted butter; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl combine the other 1/4 cup potato flakes, flour, sugar, cream of tartar, and baking soda.
- Cut in 1/3 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add milk with lemon juice and mayonnaise.
- Blend to make soft dough.
- Divide in half; shape into balls; roll out one ball on floured surface into a 9 inch circle.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet.
- Spread filling to 1/2 inch of edge.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Roll out remaining ball.
- Place on top of filling, sealing edges.
- Brush with milk.
- Sprinkle with the buttered potato flakes.
- Bake 25 minutes until golden brown.