1/4 Photos of Burfi a La Yamuna - Indian Fudge
1 hr 30 mins
I have been hearing about burfi from my boyfriend's sisters for five years - "Burfi, mmmmm *drooling noises*" Last week Yamuna finally made some and it was so good it made my eyes roll back in my head. Needless to say it's not a diet food and a little bit goes a long way - make sure you've got a handful of people hanging around to help you eat this! Although it's not in the recipe and this tastes good as it is, I'd bet that a pinch of cardamom, saffron threads or rose water would taste wonderful in this recipe. Dried fruits like raisins or chopped dates could take the place of nuts as well. Will have to do some experimenting next time. UPDATE: In response to Sprue, I should have made it clear that you have to melt the butter and heat the milk very slowly. Otherwise the milk does burn before the sugar can dissolve properly. Once the milk is boiling you should lower heat to a very light simmer. Hope this helps!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Melt the butter over low heat.
- 2Stir in sugars.
- 3Add the milk and bring to a boil gradually over medium heat.
- 4Lower the flame and add the powdered milk slowly, stirring to work out all the lumps.
- 5If you're adding nuts, mix them in once the lumps are smoothed out.
- 6Cook on medium heat for approximately 4-5 minutes, until nice and thick.
- 7Butter a 9x13 inch cake pan and pour mixture into pan, spread evenly.
- 8Cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge to set - the girls stick it in the freezer so they don't have to wait so long :).
- 9Once set, cut into 1 1/2 inch squares.
- 10Keep refrigerated and covered with plastic wrap.
- 11One hour of prep time is actual cooling time.
- 12Makes approximately 60 small squares.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Burfi a La Yamuna - Indian Fudge
Serving Size: 1 (20 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 60
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 76.6
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 13.9 mg
- Sodium 50.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 2.1 g