Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
This makes a great meal when served with cornbread. If you don't want to go the vegetarian route, add 3 chopped boneless chicken breasts (cooked) upon adding the broth. Also, if you don't want such a soupy consistency just omit a can of the broth. Best served in a bowl over white rice. Enjoy! Note: For strict vegetarians, you may substitute the chicken broth for vegetable broth.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 (14 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 4 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can sweet whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) jarmild picante sauce or 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
- In a 4-quart saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Cook onion, celery, carrots, and garlic in oil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chili powder, cumin, and pepper. Cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in low sodium chicken broth, 2 cans of black beans and the corn. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally.
- Place remaining 2 cans black beans and the picante/salsa in blender or food processor. Cover and blend on high speed until smooth. Stir into boiling soup mixture.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Serve with cilantro if desired.