Recipe by cornmaiden8
This is a healthy carrot cake that is also delicious. I made this cake for my daughter's 1st birthday. It frosts up nice with cream cheese frosting. I tinted our frosting pink with slices of beets stirred into the frosting.
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter or 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup pineapple juice concentrate
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice concentrate
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, finely grated
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar, adding more as desired for sweetness
- pineapple juice, to desired consistency
- raw beet, slices added & stir to naturally color pink-remove when desired color obtained
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 325 degrees.
- Grease and flour 9 x 13 pan.
- Using whisk, beat eggs until foamy.
- Add melted butter/oil & juice concentrates-whisk.
- Add flour, carrots and cinnamon.
- Beat by hand 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle top of batter with 1 teaspoons baking soda.
- Mix 30 strokes.
- Pour into pan immediately(will be foamy/bubbly).
- Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Frost when completely cool as desired using cream cheese frosting or applesauce.