Recipe by Wildflour
I can't wait to make this for Easter! Bunny-shaped bread with a hollowed out tummy filled with dip! All surrounded by fresh veggies and crackers for dipping! From Quick Cooking magazine, 2002!
Top Review by najones1315
I absolutely loved this recipe it was so easy and its pretty hard to mess up as long as you can follow directions. <br/>I made it twice and both times everyone loved it, it goes way beyond your normal veggie platter! Easter was perfect with our little bunny (that didn't stay a bunny for long ) :)
- 2 loaves frozen bread dough, thawed (1 lb each)
- 2 raisins
- 2 sliced almonds, can sub 1 white jelly bean cut in half
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- lettuce leaf
- ranch dip or spinach dip
- assorted fresh vegetable
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut a fourth off of one loaf of dough; shape into a pear to form head.
- For body, flatten remaining portion into a 7x6" oval; place on a greased baking sheet.
- Place head above body.
- Make narrow cuts, about 3/4" deep, on each side of head for whiskers.
- Cut second loaf into 4 equal portions.
- For ears, shape 2 portions into 16" ropes; fold in half.
- Arrange ears with open ends touching head.
- Cut a third portion of dough in half; shape into a 3 1/2" oval for back paws.
- Cut two 1" slits on top edge for toes.
- Position on each side of body at bottom.
- Divide fourth portion of dough into 3 pieces.
- Shape two pieces into 2 1/2" balls for front paws; shape the remaining piece into two 1" balls for cheeks and one 1/2" ball for nose.
- Place paws on each side of body at top of body.
- Place cheeks and nose on face. Add raisins for eyes and almond for teeth. *You can secure cheeks and nose with pieces of toothpick to hold in place. You can also use a halved white jelly bean instead of the almonds if desired. *Do not use the jelly bean though until just before serving, or it will melt a little and get grainy. (So place the teeth on just before serving.).
- Brush dough with egg.
- Cover and let rise for about 30-35 minutes or til doubled.
- Bake at 350º for 25-30 minutes til golden brown.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Place bread on a lettuce-lined 16x13" tray.
- Cut a 5x4" oval in center of body.
- Hollow out bread leaving a shell.
- Cut bread into cubes for dipping.
- Line hole in belly with lettuce leaves, fill with dip.
- Surround entire bunny with bread cubes, fresh veggies and crackers for dipping.
- *That is to be 2 (1 lb.) loaves of bread dough, there must be a glitch because it won't go through!