Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
The original recipe comes from the Palmer Ranch House and slightly altered for our taste.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 lb pork sausage
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 slices whole wheat bread, crumbled
- 1⁄2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1⁄4 cup boiling water
- 4 slices raw bacon
- 3 -4 tablespoons chili sauce
- Combine all ingredients except last 4.
- Dissolve bouillon in the boiling water and add mixture. Shape into a loaf and place in greased meatloaf baking pan.
- Top with the chili sauce and bacon strips.
- After meat has baked approximately 25 minutes drain some of the grease off and return to oven for remaining time.
- Bake in moderate (350 degree)oven 50-60 minutes.
Excellent! So flavorful and moist. Best meatloaf I've had. I'm not one for spicy food so next time I will mix 1 tbs chili sauce with 3 tablespoons of ketchup. Also, just as it's done cooking, I remove the bacon and melt a good cheddar cheese on top under the broiler for a crisp. It was a crowd pleaser.
Seriously Nimz, one of the best meatloafs that we have tried on this site. So much flavor, so tender and just plain wonderful. The texture was incredible, it melted in your mouth. Made exactly as written but used hot italian sausage instead of plain. We really enjoyed the way that the chili sauce coated and carmalized the bacon, yummo. The addition of the sage powder took it over the top. This is a treat that we will enjoy again and again. It was wonderful served with smashed potatoes and steamed green beans. A truly lovely meal, my granddaughter even liked it. Thank you for sharing this recipe which I made for Spring Pac/2012. Kudos my little pac darling.
Lovely meatloaf. I will omit the salt next time. There was enough from the beef cube. :)