Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
There's a wee wifie waitin' in a wee but 'n' ben. If you can say, "It's a braw bricht moonlicht nicht", Then yer a'richt, ye ken!
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 5 tablespoons flour or 5 tablespoons cornstarch, mixed with 1 cup of the broth
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 quart beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Heat the butter, add the onions, and cook slowly for 20 minutes covered.
- Remove the lid and stir in the sugar.
- Cook until golden brown and wilted (caramelized) on very low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the dry ingredients and broth, and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- The soup may be adjusted for flavor with beef bouillon.
- The soup will keep in the refrigerator for 10 to 14 days and is always better after the first day.
- To serve, add toasted bread, and melt grated Swiss and Parmesan cheeses on top.
Really good onion soup. We really liked the combination of chicken and beef broth-gave it a rich, smooth taste. And the slight thickening with the cornstarch gave the soup a real nice mouth feel. Will definitely make this again.Really loved the thyme, this is my current favorite herb.