Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
There's a wee wifie waitin' in a wee but 'n' ben. If you can say, "It's a braw bricht moonlicht nicht", Then yer a'richt, ye ken!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 22 ounces lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 lb button mushroom, sliced
- 1 (14 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon yeast extract
- 5 fluid ounces low sodium beef broth
- 6 tablespoons red wine
- 26 ounces potatoes, mashed
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, snipped
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Heat the oil and fry the onion until brown.
- Lower the heat and add the beef and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, tomatoes, tomato purée, yeast extract and stock, cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the wine and simmer.
- Mix in the cheese and herbs to the mashed potato.
- Spoon the meat into a deep ovenproof dish.
- Top with the herby potato.
- Bake for 30 minutes.