1/1 Photo of Bunder Gerstensuppe (Swiss Barley Soup)
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 20 mins
This is a soup popular in the Alps during the winter. You can add some shredded cabbage to this, if desired.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large leek, washed and finely chopped (white part only)
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 3 stalks celery, finely diced (including leaves)
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 ounces smoked bacon, diced
- 8 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup cream
- fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- 1Heat butter and olive oil in a soup kettle over medium-high heat.
- 2Add onion and leek and cook until they begin to soften, about 10 minutes.
- 3Add the carrots, celery, bay leaf and bacon and lower heat to medium. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4Add stock, barley and potatoes. Simmer for 1 hour.
- 5Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in cream and bring back to heat, without boiling.
- 6Ladle into bowls and garnish with parsley.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bunder Gerstensuppe (Swiss Barley Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (861 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 911.7
- Calories from Fat 470
- Total Fat 52.3 g
- Saturated Fat 22.7 g
- Cholesterol 134.9 mg
- Sodium 1597.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.8 g
- Sugars 13.5 g
- Protein 33.7 g