Recipe by Outta Here
This is a soup popular in the Alps during the winter. You can add some shredded cabbage to this, if desired.
Top Review by LifeIsGood
YUM! This is a great recipe for soup. The ingredient amounts were perfect. I used vegetable stock. I tried the soup before adding cream and loved it that way, too. This will become a staple in our house. Thanks! Made for ZWT7 Golden Gourmets.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large leek, washed and finely chopped (white part only)
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 3 stalks celery, finely diced (including leaves)
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 ounces smoked bacon, diced
- 8 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 3⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup cream
- fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat butter and olive oil in a soup kettle over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and leek and cook until they begin to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Add the carrots, celery, bay leaf and bacon and lower heat to medium. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add stock, barley and potatoes. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in cream and bring back to heat, without boiling.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with parsley.