Recipe by Sommer Clary
Bun is a traditional Vietnamese herb noodle salad that is dressed with Nuoc Cham Sauce. Many families have their different ways of preparing the sauce, but I like this one the best. If you have a difficult time finding the Thai chili, the Persian cucumbers, or the Thai basil, you can substitute them with a Serrano chili, an English cucumber (1 instead of 2), and sweet Italian basil.
Nuac Cham Sauce
- 59.14 ml lime juice
- 59.14 ml fish sauce
- 59.14 ml water
- 14.79 ml rice vinegar
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 thai chili, finely chopped
- shredded carrot (optional)
- 453.59 g rice vermicelli noodles
- 118.29 ml sliced garlic, fried
- 354.88 ml fresh mung bean sprouts
- 2 Persian cucumbers, julienned
- 295.73 ml fresh cilantro leaves
- 295.73 ml fresh mint leaves
- 236.59 ml thai basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 9.85 ml ground black pepper
- 236.59 ml unsalted dry roasted peanuts, crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Turn off the heat and add the noodles; let sit for 2 minutes.
- Remove noodles from hot water and shock them by placing them in a bowl of ice water. Drain in a colander.
- Place the noodles onto a serving bowl and cover with the cucumber, scallions and herbs. Garnish with black pepper, garlic and peanuts.
- Before serving, pour the Nuac Cham sauce over all and toss before serving.