1/2 Photos of Bun Bo Hue (Spicy Hue Style Noodle Soup With Lemongrass)
3 hrs 20 mins
My parents are from Hue. Although growing up in Sai Gon, I am a big fan of this noodle soup. Cooking and eating bring me back memories of the old time
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 453.59 g ham hock
- 6 stalk lemongrass, crushed and sliced thin
- 29.58 ml nuoc nam
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml sea salt
- 9.85 ml shrimp paste (mam ruoc)
- 4.92 ml black pepper
- 113.39 g boneless sirloin
- 113.39 g boneless pork loin
- 453.59 g rice noodles, cooked
- 236.59 ml bean sprouts
- 4 sprig Thai holy basil (regular basil ok)
- 4 sprig fresh mint
- 4 sprig fresh cilantro
- 19.71 ml sambal oelek or 19.71 ml hot chili sauce
- 4-8 fresh Thai red chili peppers (optional)
- 1 lime, cut into quarters
- 1Bring 2 1/2 quarts water to a boil; add ham hocks and lemongrass.
- 2Skim constantly for 10 minutes then cover the pan, reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2-2 hours.
- 3Strain the broth, reserving ham hocks if you desire them.
- 4Dilute the shrimp paste in 1/4 cup of cold water and set aside for 10 minutes.
- 5Add nuoc mam, shrimp paste solution, sugar, salt and pepper,sirloin, and pork loin to the broth and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until meat is cooked and tender; remove meat.
- 6Thinly slice meats into small pieces.
- 7To serve, place a portion of noodles in serving bowl,top with some bean sprouts,pork, beef, and some ham hock (if using),and ladle the broth over; add herbs,chili sauce,chilies, and lime juice to taste.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bun Bo Hue (Spicy Hue Style Noodle Soup With Lemongrass)
Serving Size: 1 (257 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 351.4
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 23.8 mg
- Sodium 1017.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 11.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Thai holy basil