Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb fresh okra, with tops peeled and washed well
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 3 -6 crushed garlic
- 2 freshly squeezed lemons
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Heat the oil and saute onion until golden.
- Then add the tomato and saute for a few minutes and then add the remaining ingredients and bring to boil.
- Reduce to low heat and simmer until the okra is tender.
- Serve with or over rice and a green salad.
I liked this recipe okay-- I might make it again. I actually like okra-- but I was scared the lemon would make the already acid tomato sauce too tart. So I omitted the lemon juice and put a 1/4 tsp. of cinnamon, and the flavor was nice. I might cut the okra next time-- as whole pods it was a bit stringy to work through. I also added the garlic a minute before the tomatoes.
Now we are not okra fans but every now and then I feel compelled to buy some just to see if there is a recipe out there that makes this odd vegetable edible. This recipe is pretty good and is certainly easy to make.