Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a good recipe to use up ripe summer tomatoes! Original source of this recipe is unknown, I inherited it in my Mom's box of recipes. Cook time is chill time.
- 5 medium ripe tomatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 large vidalia onions or 1⁄2 other sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salad oil
- 6 slices bacon, crisp-fried, drained and crumbled
- Toss vegetables together in a bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Whisk together well the water, sugar, vinegar and oil; pour over tomato mixture; toss to coat; cover and chill 1-4 hours, stirring gently once or twice.
- Just before serving, transfer to a serving bowl with a slotted spoon; sprinkle with bacon.
Oh my gosh, so good with ripe summer tomatoes! Thanks for sharing the recipe, I really enjoyed it!
ive made this salad with all the vegtables but never thought to put in bacon it was a very nice touch since we have hundreds of tomatoes its always good to have a another twist on an old fav. thanks for posting dee
This is excellent with the 1015 onions in the stores this spring.