Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
The Potatos with buttermilk are from my home Mecklenburg. In the area of Cologne they eat green beans with buttermilk in a soup. So here is a Marriage of them both.
- 150 ml buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon plain flour
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into fairly big chunks
- 50 g green beans, cut into inch long pieces
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 50 g diced bacon
- salt, Pepper and Savoury Herb (dried or fresh)
- Cook the potatoes and beans in salted water for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Gently fry the onions and bacon until fragrant and nicely coloured.
- Pour away most of the water from the potatos but not all and add the bacon, onions and parsley.
- Mix the buttermilk with the tsp of flour and add this to the potatos stirring slowly.
- Buttermilk will generally curdle when heated. The flour mixed into it will prevent that.
- Season with Salt, Pepper and Savoury Herb (Sariette/ Bohnenkraut).
This recipe is delicious. Kind of like an unusual vichyssoise that is eaten straight off of the stove. Served with a side of Fried Chicken when I made it but it could be a one pot meal with shredded chicken or ham cubes along with the bacon.