Recipe by Ariella
A mixture of three berries and fresh squeezed lemon juice make these individualized treats just the thing to perk up a grey winter day! I adapted this recipe from one I found on the Cream Puffs in Venice blog. NOTE: I used a mini silicone bundt pan (the one with 6 cups), if you use a different pan you may get a different yield and need a different baking time. Also, I got the best looking results when I did not flour/grease the pan. These are excellent glazed with a simple lemon juice/sugar glaze or with cream cheese frosting dripping down the sides (or both!).
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, grated
- 1⁄2 cup plain soymilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted margarine, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup frozen raspberries
- 1⁄4 cup frozen blueberries
- 1⁄4 cup frozen strawberries (cut into small pieces)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a mini bundt pan.
- Combine the milk and the juice. Set aside.
- Sift together the flours, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and the sugar (2 to 3 minutes).
- Add the zest and vanilla extract and mix for another minute on medium speed.
- Add the egg and mix well on medium speed.
- Alternating the flour mixture and the milk/lemon mixture, add them to the batter beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Don't over mix the batter.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer. Combine your berries in a bowl and sprinkle on a few tablespoons of flour. Mix the berries with the flour. This will prevent the berries from sinking to the bottom of your cake.
- Gently fold the berries into the batter and then spoon the batter into the pan, filling each cup 3/4 full.
- Bake the cake for 48 minutes, rotating once halfway through. Test with a toothpick and cook longer if toothpick does not come out clean.
- Remove the pan from the oven and invert over cooling rack. Leave cakes in pan until pan is cool enough to touch (about 30 minutes). Gently press on back side of each cake cup to release cakes.
- Glaze as desired.