Recipe by lynnski / LA
The word "Bullocks" without an apostrophe was used only in the name of the Wilshire store, the most famous and popular of them all. Here you would find a line of people waiting for tables reaching from the tea room to the elevators. In 1983 customers would pay $100. for Easter baskets and order a half dozen. When they offered a Champagne and caviar tasting at $125.a head in '83 they packed the room. The Orange Roll recipe was developed at this store. Note: you may need a bit more flour than is called for in the recipe. Recipe and information from the Los Angeles Times.
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 (2 1/4 teaspoon) packages dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup lukewarm water
- 5 1⁄2 cups sifted flour, plus
- flour, needed to flour board
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 1 teaspoon water
- 4 oranges
- water (to cover)
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons arrowroot
Directions See How It's Made
- Place milk in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add butter, sugar and salt.
- Set aside to cool to lukewarm.
- dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add to cooled mixture.
- Add half of the flour and mix well.
- Add enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- turn out onto a floured board and let stand 10 minutes.
- Knead, working in flour until dough no longer sticks to board and is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled.
- Turn dough out onto a floured board and knead lightly until surface is smooth.
- Shape into rolls 1 1/2 to 2 inches in diameter.
- Place close together in a 9" X 13" baking pan.
- Cover with a kitchen towl and let rise until doubles.
- Brush with egg-water mixture (or melted butter).
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes, until browned.
- Turn out onto a rack to cool.
- For the Orange Sauce: zest the 4 oranges (or cut strips with a peeler), place peels in a saucepan and add enough water to cover, bring to a boil.
- Blend the sugar with arrowroot.
- Squeeze juice from oranges, add orange juice and reserved liquid from zest to the sugar mixture.
- Add more water, if needed, to bring volume up to 3 cups.
- Bring to boil and cook and stir until thickened and clear, about 5 minutes.
- Serve a roll(s) with sauce on the side.