Prep 2 hrs
Cook 20 mins
The word "Bullocks" without an apostrophe was used only in the name of the Wilshire store, the most famous and popular of them all. Here you would find a line of people waiting for tables reaching from the tea room to the elevators. In 1983 customers would pay $100. for Easter baskets and order a half dozen. When they offered a Champagne and caviar tasting at $125.a head in '83 they packed the room. The Orange Roll recipe was developed at this store. Note: you may need a bit more flour than is called for in the recipe. Recipe and information from the Los Angeles Times.
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 (2 1/4 teaspoon) packages dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup lukewarm water
- 5 1⁄2 cups sifted flour, plus
- flour, needed to flour board
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 1 teaspoon water
- 4 oranges
- water (to cover)
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons arrowroot
- Place milk in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add butter, sugar and salt.
- Set aside to cool to lukewarm.
- dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add to cooled mixture.
- Add half of the flour and mix well.
- Add enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- turn out onto a floured board and let stand 10 minutes.
- Knead, working in flour until dough no longer sticks to board and is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled.
- Turn dough out onto a floured board and knead lightly until surface is smooth.
- Shape into rolls 1 1/2 to 2 inches in diameter.
- Place close together in a 9" X 13" baking pan.
- Cover with a kitchen towl and let rise until doubles.
- Brush with egg-water mixture (or melted butter).
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes, until browned.
- Turn out onto a rack to cool.
- For the Orange Sauce: zest the 4 oranges (or cut strips with a peeler), place peels in a saucepan and add enough water to cover, bring to a boil.
- Blend the sugar with arrowroot.
- Squeeze juice from oranges, add orange juice and reserved liquid from zest to the sugar mixture.
- Add more water, if needed, to bring volume up to 3 cups.
- Bring to boil and cook and stir until thickened and clear, about 5 minutes.
- Serve a roll(s) with sauce on the side.