Recipe by lynnski / LA
Another nostalgia recipe, this dish was popular at Bullock's Westwood Village, a store that opened in 1932 as a suburban store; but is now surrounded by high rise buildings. It had been my favorite store because it was close by. I can remember happy times shopping with friends, then having lunch in the tea room while watching the fashion show. Recipe submitted to the Los Angeles Times by Louise De Vries, food and beverage director at the department store's Tea Room.
- 4 ounces spaghetti
- 1⁄4 cup hot whipping cream
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3⁄4 lb crabmeat
- 2 large mushrooms, sliced
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped black olives
- 3⁄4 teaspoon finely chopped parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sherry wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion juice (or onion salt)
- parmesan cheese, for topping
- paprika (for garnish)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups well-seasoned chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- white pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Start heating the oven to 350 degrees.
- To make the bechamel sauce, melt butter, stir in flour and cook stirring for 1 minute.
- Gradually stir in the chicken stock until smooth.
- Add milk and cook and stir until thickened.
- Season to taste with salt and white pepper.
- Makes 2 cups.
- To make the TETRAZZINI, cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- Drain and keep warm.
- Gradually beat hot cream into egg yolks, then gradually add hot Bechamel Sauce, beating well.
- Turn into saucepan, cook stirring until boiling.
- Add butter and 2 tablespoons cheese.
- Combine lemon juice with crab.
- Add mushroom, olives, parsley, Sherry and onion juice and season to taste with salt.
- Add crab mixture to bechamel and combine.
- Place spaghetti in generously buttered 2-quart baking dish.
- Add crab mixture, making sure spaghetti is completely covered.
- Sprinkle generously with Parmesan cheese.
- Dust with paprika to taste.
- Bake at 350 F, until bubbly and heated through, about 20 minutes.
- Serve with Bullocks Orange Rolls, posted seprately.