Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
with roast lamb
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups diced onions
- 2 cups coarse bulgur
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 cups chicken broth or 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 ounces dried figs, stems trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (Calimyrna or Black Mission)
- 1 cup walnut pieces, toasted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- In a large skillet or saute pan, combine the olive oil and onions; cook, stirring, over med-low heat until the onions are golden, about 15 minutes.
- Add in the bulgur; stir over med-low heat for about 10 minutes until it is toasted.
- Add in the garlic; cook/stir for 2 minutes.
- Add in the cumin; cook/stir for 1 minute or until warmed.
- While the bulgur is cooking, heat the broth to a boil in a pan; stir the boiling broth into the bulgur; add salt and figs; cover and cook over med-low about 20 minutes until the broth is absorbed and the bulgur is light and fluffy.
- Let stand off the heat, covered, for 10 minutes before serving.
- Spoon into serving bowl and sprinkle with dill and toasted walnuts.