Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this recipe with my Mastercook program. Apparently it originally came from Cook's Magazine, June 1990. Bulgur makes a tasty change from rice. I serve this either a leafy green vegetable or a tossed green salad. The 0 minutes prep time assumes that you buy your mushrooms already sliced and you can find toasted slivered almonds. If not, it is about 10 minutes
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 2 1⁄2 cups bulgur
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 12 ounces mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup toasted slivered almonds
- Bring broth to a boil in a large saucepan and slowly add the bulgur without stirring.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes, until the bulgur is tender.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a small saucepan until it is hot, but not quite smoking, and immediately pour the oil over the bulgur.
- Cover the large saucepan again and simmer until the bulgur is dry and tender.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- While the bulgur and oil are simmering, heat a large skillet and add the remaining oil.
- Sauté the mushrooms until lightly browned.
- Add the mushrooms and almonds to the bulgur and mix them in.