Recipe by Mysterygirl
This is a great way to get extra whole grains into your diet.
Top Review by Juenessa
I ate bulgur wheat for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and decided that I really liked the taste. I took some liberties with this recipe to make it more to our liking. I omited the mushrooms, added about 1/2 cup of green bell pepper and sauted it with the onion. At the end, I chopped up a couple of tablespoons of fresh cilantro instead of the parsley and then squeazed 1/2 a fresh lemon on top. Yum! This is a very versatile recipe and I'm sure you could add other veggies too. My husband and I both enjoyed this side dish very much. Thanks, Mysterygirl!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces mushrooms, assorted
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 3 ounces bulgur wheat
- 3⁄4-1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large pan over medium-high heat.
- Slice mushrooms.
- Add onion, garlic and mushrooms to pan.
- Saute for about 2 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and wheat, stirring for 3-4 minutes.
- Add broth.
- Cover and let simmer over low heat for about 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat but don't remove the cover.
- Allow to sit for about 20 minutes.
- Fluff and sprinkle with parsley.