Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a great way to get extra whole grains into your diet.
Make and share this Bulgur Wheat With Veggies recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces mushrooms, assorted
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 3 ounces bulgur wheat
- 3⁄4-1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Heat oil in large pan over medium-high heat.
- Slice mushrooms.
- Add onion, garlic and mushrooms to pan.
- Saute for about 2 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and wheat, stirring for 3-4 minutes.
- Add broth.
- Cover and let simmer over low heat for about 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat but don't remove the cover.
- Allow to sit for about 20 minutes.
- Fluff and sprinkle with parsley.
I ate bulgur wheat for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and decided that I really liked the taste. I took some liberties with this recipe to make it more to our liking. I omited the mushrooms, added about 1/2 cup of green bell pepper and sauted it with the onion. At the end, I chopped up a couple of tablespoons of fresh cilantro instead of the parsley and then squeazed 1/2 a fresh lemon on top. Yum! This is a very versatile recipe and I'm sure you could add other veggies too. My husband and I both enjoyed this side dish very much. Thanks, Mysterygirl!
This is so good and you can do so much with it. I added some chopped sun dried tomatoes for a little extra flavor. I've also used this mixture to stuff grilled eggplant rolls topped with homemade tomato sauce which is also yummy. This is a great recipe and so low in calories, thanks Mysterygirl.
Easy to make, esp. if you buy sliced mushrooms. I shredded the zucchini also. Forgot the parsley (would have used dried anyways). So, I wonder if the parsley would have added more taste? I think next time I may add more garlic. Nice, with the mushroom flavor!