Recipe by Annisette
We love this with Chicken Supreme Kiev-Style Chicken Supreme Kiev-Style. From Jacques Pepin's cookbook, Good Life Cooking. The cooking time includes reconsituting the bulgur wheat by soaking it in hot water for about 45 minutes. Once that's done, the rest of the recipe will take about 10 minutes to cook.
- 1⁄2 cup cracked bulgur wheat
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped (1 1/4 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, crushed, and chopped (1 teaspoon)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup frozen baby peas
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons unsalted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Place bulgur in a heat-proof bowl and pour 1 1/2 cups boiling water over it. Let stand for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until most of the water is absorbed by the wheat. Drain.
- Heat oil in saucepan. Saute onion for about 3 minutes. Add garlic, salt, pepper. Saute for 10 seconds.
- Stir the drained bulgur wheat into the onion mixture. Cook for 4-5 minutes. The excess moisture will cook away and then the wheat will begin to brown and become fluffy.
- Add in the frozen peas. Mix well and cook for about 1 minute longer. Stir in the butter.
- Serve immediately.