This recipe is a modified version from this month's Gourmet Magazine (June 2008). The burgers can be prepared on the grill or in a skillet. If you don't want to use a food processor, you can simply chop the onions finely and mash the beans and walnuts together before mixing in everything else by hand. Uncooked patties can be chilled, covered, up to 4 hours.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 118.29 ml chopped onion, divided in two
- 14.79 ml olive oil, plus additional for brushing
- 118.29 ml bulgur
- 236.59 ml water
- 236.59-354.88 ml canned pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 22.18 ml soy sauce
- 177.44 ml walnuts (2 1/2 oz)
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 118.29 ml packed cilantro
- 3.69 ml ground cumin
- 1.23 ml cayenne
- 1Cook half of onion with 1/4 teaspoon salt in oil in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Add bulgur and water and cook, covered, over low heat until water is absorbed, 15 to 18 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and stir in beans and soy sauce.
- 2Pulse bulgur mixture, walnuts, garlic, cilantro, cumin, cayenne, a rounded 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and remaining onion in a food processor until finely chopped.
- 3Form rounded 1/2 cups of mixture into 4 (3 1/2-inch-diameter) patties. Chill at least 10 minutes.
- 4While patties chill, stir together mayonnaise, zest, and juice.
- 5GRILL DIRECTIONS: Prepare grill for direct-heat cooking over medium-hot charcoal (medium heat for gas). Put perforated grill sheet on grill and preheat 10 minutes. Brush patties all over with oil. Oil grill sheet, then grill burgers on grill sheet, covered only if using a gas grill, carefully turning once, until golden brown, about 8 minutes total.
- 6STOVETOP DIRECTIONS: Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat until it shimmers, then cook patties, carefully turning once, until golden brown, about 8 minutes total.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bulgur Veggie Burger
Serving Size: 1 (772 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 301.3
- Calories from Fat 166
- Total Fat 18.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 561.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 9.5 g