Recipe by blucoat
This recipe is a modified version from this month's Gourmet Magazine (June 2008). The burgers can be prepared on the grill or in a skillet. If you don't want to use a food processor, you can simply chop the onions finely and mash the beans and walnuts together before mixing in everything else by hand. Uncooked patties can be chilled, covered, up to 4 hours.
Top Review by jl_browning
this was pretty good. I sub'd black beans for the pinto and pine nuts for the walnuts. Had a good flavor but was SUPER crumbly. I think next time I'll chill them longer. Also, it doesn't list the amounts for the mayo., or lime juice/zest. but it's 1/4 C. Mayo, 1/4 tsp. zest, and 1 tsp. lime juice (per the magazine). They wouldn't have been as good without the lime-mayo IMO. Good!!
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion, divided in two
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus additional for brushing
- 1⁄2 cup bulgur
- 1 cup water
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup canned pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts (2 1/2 oz)
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup packed cilantro
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook half of onion with 1/4 teaspoon salt in oil in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Add bulgur and water and cook, covered, over low heat until water is absorbed, 15 to 18 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and stir in beans and soy sauce.
- Pulse bulgur mixture, walnuts, garlic, cilantro, cumin, cayenne, a rounded 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and remaining onion in a food processor until finely chopped.
- Form rounded 1/2 cups of mixture into 4 (3 1/2-inch-diameter) patties. Chill at least 10 minutes.
- While patties chill, stir together mayonnaise, zest, and juice.
- GRILL DIRECTIONS: Prepare grill for direct-heat cooking over medium-hot charcoal (medium heat for gas). Put perforated grill sheet on grill and preheat 10 minutes. Brush patties all over with oil. Oil grill sheet, then grill burgers on grill sheet, covered only if using a gas grill, carefully turning once, until golden brown, about 8 minutes total.
- STOVETOP DIRECTIONS: Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat until it shimmers, then cook patties, carefully turning once, until golden brown, about 8 minutes total.