This is from Bobby Flay, from the episode of Middle Eastern Grilling. This sounds like a different, refreshing salad. I will probably use any honey I have on hand. Posted for ZWT 2010.
- 3⁄4 cup bulgur, medium-grind
- 1⁄2 small red onion, finely diced
- 2 plum tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon buckwheat honey
- 1 serrano chili, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil or 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Place bulgur in a large bowl, pour 3 cups boiling water over, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let sit until tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain well, squeezing out as much water as possible, if needed.
- Return the cooked bulgur to the bowl and mix in the onion, tomatoes, parsley, mint, and 4 sliced green onions.
- Place the lime juice, honey, serrano, and 1/2 cup chopped green onion in a blender and blend until smooth.
- With the motor running, slowly add the oil until emulsified. If the mixture appears too thick, blend in a few tablespoons of cold water, and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Transfer the salad to a platter and drizzle with the green onion vinaigrette.
Loved it! The flavor got better as it sat. The ratio of ingredients was just right. I recommend you try to find the buckwheat honey - it is very different than the golden clover honey. If you can't find it, try equal amounts of golden honey and molasses. Made for ZWT 6.