Recipe by Skippy [BW]
Bulgur, a nutty chewy Middle Eastern staple--ready with just a soak. Loaded with fiber and protein, and low-sodium.
Top Review by iris5555
I also made this recipe from Everyday Food. I had high hopes for it, but wasn't wild about it as there was a slightly bitter taste. This may have been due to my less than perfectly fresh pine nuts. The salad is very easy to make though and next time I'd probably just leave out the pine nuts.
- 1⁄4 cup bulgur, medium-grind
- coarse salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup feta cheese, crumbled (1 ounce)
- 1⁄2 shallot, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cucumber, peeled, halved, seeded, and finely diced
- 1⁄2 head boston lettuce, torn into large pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium bowl, mix bulgur with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/2 cup boiling water. Cover; let sit until bulgur is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small dry skillet over very low heat, toast pine nuts tossing constantly until golden. 3 to 4 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice and oil, season with salt and pepper; set aside.
- Drain bulgur in a fine- mesh sieve, pressing to remove extra liquid; return to bowl. Add feta, shallot, parsley, cucumber and 1/2 dressing.
- In another bowl toss lettuce with remaining dressing. Top with bulgur mixture and pine nuts.