Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Bulgur is one of those ancient grains that is coming back into style because it is healthful and versatile. This particular salad is made with cracked wheat which cooks up fast and gives the salad a nutty flavor and chewy component. I make this with a homemade red wine vinaigrette made with extra-virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, a little mustard (whole grain), salt and pepper.
- 1 cup cracked bulgur wheat
- 1 teaspoon bouillon (tomato or chicken is nice)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3⁄4 cup vinaigrette dressing
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 lb chickpeas, cooked rinsed and drained (canned okay)
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped (any colors)
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup fresh basil, coarsely chopped
- In a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil. Stir in bulgur and bouillon. Return to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and let stand until water is absorbed, an additional 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl to cool.
- Stir remaining ingredients, except parsley and basil into the bulgur.
- Sprinkle with the fresh parsley and basil.
- NOTE: Other grains work well with this salad such as brown rice or quinoa, adjust cooking times. Dried parsley will also work well, just use 1/3 of the amount.
Everyone just loved this salad. Made as directed with sun-dried tomato vinaigrette dressing because that's what I had on hand. This would be perfect for a potluck lunch. I was even asked to enter this in my office's salad contest in September! We'll see. Thanks, threeovens! Made for Aussie-Kiwi Recipe Swap #78.