1/1 Photo of Bulgur Salad With Chickpeas, Feta, and Basil
Bulgur is one of those ancient grains that is coming back into style because it is healthful and versatile. This particular salad is made with cracked wheat which cooks up fast and gives the salad a nutty flavor and chewy component. I make this with a homemade red wine vinaigrette made with extra-virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, a little mustard (whole grain), salt and pepper.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup cracked bulgur wheat
- 1 teaspoon bouillon (tomato or chicken is nice)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup vinaigrette dressing
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 lb chickpeas, cooked rinsed and drained (canned okay)
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped (any colors)
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup fresh basil, coarsely chopped
- 1In a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil. Stir in bulgur and bouillon. Return to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and let stand until water is absorbed, an additional 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl to cool.
- 2Stir remaining ingredients, except parsley and basil into the bulgur.
- 3Sprinkle with the fresh parsley and basil.
- 4NOTE: Other grains work well with this salad such as brown rice or quinoa, adjust cooking times. Dried parsley will also work well, just use 1/3 of the amount.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bulgur Salad With Chickpeas, Feta, and Basil
Serving Size: 1 (243 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 451.0
- Calories from Fat 270
- Total Fat 30.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 70.3 mg
- Sodium 511.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 24.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
cracked bulgur wheat