Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I had to find a whole lot of recipes using bulgur for my f-i-l as he cannot have rice for health reasons. It is low in cholestrol and high in dietary fibre. I would urge the health conscious to incorporate bulgur into their diet. The cooking time is the time it takes for the bulgur to soak.
- 115 g bulgur wheat
- 115 g mange-touts peas
- 2 spring onions
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 115 g cucumbers
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (I use cilantro instead sometimes)
- 3 tablespoons of fresh mint, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (some prefer the virgin)
- 1 large limes, juice of or 2 small limes, juice of
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 3 -5 sprigs mint (to garnish)
- cucumbers, slices or tomatoes, cubes can be used as well (to garnish)
- Cover the bulgur with boiling water and leave to soak for 30 mins.
- Boil water in a saucepan and blanch the mangetout, and refresh them so that they retain their colour by soaking them in icy cold water.
- Drain and cut into strips crossways Slice the spring onions too using around 3 inches of the green stalks too Chop the tomatoes and cucumber too Put all the veges in a large bowl.
- Drain the bulgur completely in a sieve.
- and mix into the bowl of vegetables.
- Chop the herbs and throw them in too.
- Add the oil and lime juice (if you are serving immediately) and the seasonings.
- Mix well.
- Garnish with mint.
- You can also line the sides of the bowl with the tomato and cucumber slices or cubes.
- Note:If you need to make this ahead.
- This can be covered and stored in the refrigerator for a day or two but the lime juice will have to be omitted in the preparation and will have to be added just before you serve.
Great salad. I cut back a tad on the mint and it worked well for me. I also omitted the mange-touts for no good reason, and still loved the salad. Thanks for posting.
I made the bulgur salad for a party and the guests loved it. It is easy to prepare in advance and the combination of bulgur and mint and cilantro and lime juice is absolutely tasty! As I love spicy food, I added 2-3 chopped fresh red chillies! Thanks for this recipe, Fay, I'll recommend it to my friends!