Girl from India's Note:
I had to find a whole lot of recipes using bulgur for my f-i-l as he cannot have rice for health reasons. It is low in cholestrol and high in dietary fibre. I would urge the health conscious to incorporate bulgur into their diet. The cooking time is the time it takes for the bulgur to soak.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 115 g bulgur wheat
- 115 g mange-touts peas
- 2 spring onions
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 115 g cucumbers
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (I use cilantro instead sometimes)
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (some prefer the virgin)
- 1 large limes, juice of or 2 small limes, juice of
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 3 -5 sprigs mint (to garnish)
- cucumbers, slices or tomato, cubes can be used as well (to garnish)
- 1Cover the bulgur with boiling water and leave to soak for 30 mins.
- 2Boil water in a saucepan and blanch the mangetout, and refresh them so that they retain their colour by soaking them in icy cold water.
- 3Drain and cut into strips crossways Slice the spring onions too using around 3 inches of the green stalks too Chop the tomatoes and cucumber too Put all the veges in a large bowl.
- 4Drain the bulgur completely in a sieve.
- 5and mix into the bowl of vegetables.
- 6Chop the herbs and throw them in too.
- 7Add the oil and lime juice (if you are serving immediately) and the seasonings.
- 8Mix well.
- 9Garnish with mint.
- 10You can also line the sides of the bowl with the tomato and cucumber slices or cubes.
- 11Note:If you need to make this ahead.
- 12This can be covered and stored in the refrigerator for a day or two but the lime juice will have to be omitted in the preparation and will have to be added just before you serve.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bulgur Salad
Serving Size: 1 (380 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 136.4
- Calories from Fat 93
- Total Fat 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 9.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 2.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: