Recipe by ellie_
Submitted per request for recipes using bulgur and even though I haven't made this I thought it sounded really interesting and I am planning on making it soon. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (September 1984)
Top Review by Rita~
Well Ellie you should give this a try. It`s very good. as I was making it I though about adding onions and garlic. But I didn`t. It was great. I tasted this before adding the lemon and after and both were very good. The only change I made was I used 3 tablespoons of olive oil in place of the 6 tablespoons of clarified butter. Thanks for posting this Ellie!
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup bulgur
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 6 tablespoons clarified butter
- 4 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add bulgur and rice and stir for 5 minutes or until rice browns slightly.
- Mix in broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Heat clarified butter in heavy skillet over medium heat. Add mustard seed and cook until mustard seeds begin to pop.
- Add turmeric and salt, then the bulgur/rice mixture. Stir until hot. Stir in lemon juice.
- Serve immediately.