Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
If you are trying to include other grains in your diet, make pulao(seasoned rice) with bulgur, wheat kernels that have been parboiled and dried. Serve with any vegetable and plain yogurt.
- 3⁄4 cup basmati rice (white or brown)
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 cup bulgur, slightly toasted in oven (coarse grind)
- 2 cups mixed vegetables (grated carrots, chopped mushrooms, cauliflower)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts or 1⁄2 cup olive
- Check, rinse and drain the rice.
- Heat the oil in a 3-quart pot on medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds; as soon as they change color, add chopped onions.
- Stir until the onions are translucent.
- Stir in the bulgur and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the rice, vegetables and salt; stir for about 5 minutes.
- Add 3 cups water (3½ for presoaked brown rice).
- When the water starts to boil (in about 5 minutes), lower the heat, add garam masala, and let the rice simmer, covered, until cooked (15 to 20 minutes for white rice, 40 to 50 minutes for brown rice).
- Garnish and serve hot.
- Variation: Add some wild rice for chewy texture and smoky flavor.