kusum gupta's Note:
If you are trying to include other grains in your diet, make pulao(seasoned rice) with bulgur, wheat kernels that have been parboiled and dried. Serve with any vegetable and plain yogurt.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup basmati rice (white or brown)
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 cup bulgur, slightly toasted in oven (coarse grind)
- 2 cups mixed vegetables (grated carrots, chopped mushrooms, cauliflower)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts or 1/2 cup olive
- 1Check, rinse and drain the rice.
- 2Heat the oil in a 3-quart pot on medium heat.
- 3Add cumin seeds; as soon as they change color, add chopped onions.
- 4Stir until the onions are translucent.
- 5Stir in the bulgur and cook for a couple of minutes.
- 6Add the rice, vegetables and salt; stir for about 5 minutes.
- 7Add 3 cups water (3½ for presoaked brown rice).
- 8When the water starts to boil (in about 5 minutes), lower the heat, add garam masala, and let the rice simmer, covered, until cooked (15 to 20 minutes for white rice, 40 to 50 minutes for brown rice).
- 9Garnish and serve hot.
- 10Variation: Add some wild rice for chewy texture and smoky flavor.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bulgur Pulao
Serving Size: 1 (102 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 216.6
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 413.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 6.2 g