Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is one of the painless recipes that has helped me ease into using more types of grains. Great healthy side dish that compliments a wide array of entrees. Would also make a great light lunch. Found in Best Loved Whole Grain Recipes.
- 1 cup uncooked Bulgar wheat
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 small zucchini
- 14 1⁄2 ounces no-salt-added whole tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- Rinse bulgur thoroughly in colander under cold water removing any debris. Set aside.
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Saute 3 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Stir in zucchini and tomatoes, reduce heat to medium-low. cook, covered 15 minutes or until zucchini is almost tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir chicken broth, bulgur, basil and pepper into veggie mixture. Bring to a boil over high heat. Recude heat to low. Cook, covered over low heat 15 minutes or until bulgur is tender and liquid is almost completely absorbed, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, let stand covered for 10 minutes.
We just love this!!! We use stewed tomatoes and yellow squarsh.