Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 3⁄4 cup crushed uncooked vermicelli
- 2 cups uncooked bulgur
- 2 cups hot hot reduced-sodium fat-free beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan, and sauté for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add vermicelli to pan; cook for 2 minutes. Add bulgur to pan, and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in broth and next 6 ingredients (through basil), and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in parsley.