Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Martha Rose Shulman
- 1 cup medium bulgur
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed, crushed in a mortar and pestle
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- plain nonfat yogurt
- Place bulgur in a bowl; add the salt; stir with a spoon or mix with your hands to distribute the salt.
- Pour in 2 ½ cups boiling water; let sit for 15-20 minutes, until the bulgur is soft.
- Drain off any excess water through a strainer and press the bulgur in the strainer to extract more water.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add in the cumin seeds.
- Cook, stirring, for about 1 minute or just until they begin to color and smell fragrant.
- Stir in the onion; stir/saute about 5 minutes, until tender.
- Stir in the bulgur and chickpeas; stir until heated through.
- Add in the lemon juice, if desired.
- Remove from heat, taste and adjust the salt; serve hot or warm, topped with yogurt.