Top Review by em...
I made this AGAIN.. for a co-worker's birthday...must tell what I added besides the mushrooms... This time I used recipe #100243 Make Ahead Carmelized Onions. Last time I was a bit disappointed that the onions got kinda' "boiled out"...sooooooooooo... I added the carmelized onions that I prepared a day ahead...I put some in the "body" of the dish and then arranged some in a circle on top as a decoration. The golden color of the carmelized onions really gave it some pizzaz!!!
- 1 cup lentils
- 4 cups vegetable broth or 4 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 1 large onion, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup coarsely ground bulgur
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse the lentils& put in a pot with enough broth to cover.
- Add bay leaf, bring to a boil& keep covered.
- Turn off heat& let stand for 30 minutes.
- While the lentils are soaking, melt margarine in a heavy pot.
- Add chopped onion, salt& pepper.
- Saute till onions are tender& transparent.
- When onions are ready, keep heat at medium, stir in bulgur& continue stirring till all the margarine is absorbed.
- Lower heat to a simmer& add the rest of the broth& lentils in their broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat again, cover tightly& simmer till all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add more liquid till the bulgur& lentils are cooked.
- Remove bay leaf& serve.