Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
I received this recipe from a friend just over a year ago but hadn't made it until recently. I am so disappointed that I didn't try it earlier, it is delicious! I might try changing up some of the vegetables next time...mushrooms might make a nice addition. I am currently following the Weight Watchers programme so I have included all of my low fat substitutions.
- 2 tablespoons reduced-calorie margarine
- 1 cup Bulgar wheat
- 3 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 cups low-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- In a saucepan, melt margerine. Add bulgar, stirring to coat. Add stock and salt and let simmer, covered, for 20 - 30 minutes (or until stock is absorbed) stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, add carrots, onion, cheese and parsley to a 1.5L casserole dish.
- Add bulgar and gently mix all ingredients.
- Beat together milk, eggs and oil. Pour over the ingredients in casserole dish and sprinkle with pepper.
- Cover and cook for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Uncover and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
Made this for dinner tonight and really liked it. It was easy to put together. I did make one slight change: I had no parsley - fresh or dried - in the house so I added just a sprinkle of Italian Seasoning to it for some flavor. I'll probably add some garlic to the bulgar next time. Thanks for sharing!
I was surprised by how much we really enjoyed this! I thought it would be fine, but it was really really good. My husband thought it was full of butter from the creaminess of it. I used vegetable broth instead of chicken which makes it an easy vegetarian meal. I also used some cheddar and then some mixed cheese when I ran out of cheddar. I didn't know what it was supposed to look like so I let it cook an additional 10 minutes uncovered, thinking the top needed to set more. I think it would have been fine either way. It looks a little odd, with eggs sort of cooked on top, but we mixed it all together on our plates. Mushrooms would be good, peppers, corn as well. One I'm sure we'll use again. Thanks!