Recipe by cookingfor1
I received this recipe from a friend just over a year ago but hadn't made it until recently. I am so disappointed that I didn't try it earlier, it is delicious! I might try changing up some of the vegetables next time...mushrooms might make a nice addition. I am currently following the Weight Watchers programme so I have included all of my low fat substitutions.
Top Review by Gabby LSW
Made this for dinner tonight and really liked it. It was easy to put together. I did make one slight change: I had no parsley - fresh or dried - in the house so I added just a sprinkle of Italian Seasoning to it for some flavor. I'll probably add some garlic to the bulgar next time. Thanks for sharing!
- 2 tablespoons reduced-calorie margarine
- 1 cup Bulgar wheat
- 3 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 cups low-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, melt margerine. Add bulgar, stirring to coat. Add stock and salt and let simmer, covered, for 20 - 30 minutes (or until stock is absorbed) stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, add carrots, onion, cheese and parsley to a 1.5L casserole dish.
- Add bulgar and gently mix all ingredients.
- Beat together milk, eggs and oil. Pour over the ingredients in casserole dish and sprinkle with pepper.
- Cover and cook for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Uncover and cook for an additional 10 minutes.