Recipe by Jmommy209
I wanted veggie burgers to do on the grill one night, but I didn't have ingredients for some and a lot said they fell apart easily. This is my concoction, posted for safekeeping, because they turned out better than I thought.
- 1 cup bulgur
- 2 cups water
- 1 small zucchini
- 2 carrots
- 1⁄2 large onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup spinach, torn in small pieces
- 1 tablespoon flax seed
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup oats
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 avocado
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 lime
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour the water and the bulgur in a medium pot. Bring to a boil, simmer 5 minutes, or until the water is mostly evaporated, turn it off. Transfer the bulgur to a large bowl.
- Shred the carrots, zucchini, onion and garlic cloves in a food processor.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a pot (I used the same one as for the bulgur). Saute the shredded vegetables about 5 minutes, until soft.
- Add the dried rosemary, salt, pepper, onion and garlic powders. Saute 1 minute more.
- Mix the veggies and the bulgur together in the large bowl. Add the flax seed, bread crumbs, oats and eggs. Mix them well.
- Transfer 2/3 of the mixture to a food processor. Process for about 45 seconds, until it's almost a paste.
- Combine the bulgur left in the bowl with the processed mixture. Form into patties.
- Put the patties in the freezer for 30 minutes or so, long enough for them to be firm, but not fully frozen.
- Brush one side of the patties with olive oil. Place the patties, oiled side down on the hot part of the grill. Brush the other side with olive oil as well. Grill 4 minutes per side.
- For the avocado mayo: combine the avocado, mayo and juice of the lemon. Mix with a fork until smooth. Salt and pepper to taste.