Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is from the CIA at Greystone..
- 1 cup lentils, washed
- 6 1⁄2 cups chicken broth or 6 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium onions, peeled halved thinly sliced
- 2 cups bulgur, coarse grain
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Boil the lentils in 3 cups of chicken broth or water until tender, about 20 minutes. Reserve any residual cooking liquid.
- While the lentils are cooking, heat the butter and olive oil in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Slowly sauté onions until caramelized, over medium-low heat, stirring often. Reserve in pan.
- Bring the remaining 3 1/2 cups chicken stock or water to a boil, adding bulgur, residual cooking liquid, salt, and tomato paste. Reduce the heat to low and cook, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Add the black pepper and red pepper flakes to the caramelized onions. Pour the mixture over the bulgur and add the lentils, stirring gently. Season with salt and pepper, as needed.