Recipe by smiles4u
I found this in a book from the American Heart Assoc. Haven't prepared it yet, but I plan to as it sounds good.
Top Review by jdedit2001
I wasn't too impressed with this dish when I first made it. But it seems to taste better after sitting awhile. Leftovers the next day were quite tasty, and I will definitely make this again.
- 1 cup bulgur
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold water
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro or 1⁄2 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill weed, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup canned low-sodium V8 juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl, soak bulgur in cold water for 15 to 30 minutes, or until soft. Set aside.
- meanwhile, heat a heavy non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and saute for 4 to 5 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Drain fat from pan.
- Add onions to skillet and cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Drain bulgur and add to meat mixture with cilantro, dill weed, salt, pepper, chipped tomatoes, vegetable juice and lemon juice. Stir gently.
- Place mixture in a 10 x 10 x 2 inch baking dish or oven proof casserole dish.
- Bake at 350 uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated thoroughly.