This dish is loaded with texture and flavor. Wrap it in a whole-grain pita for lunch, take it on a picnic, or serve it as a side dish at dinner. If using canned chickpeas, be sure to rinse and drain thoroughly to remove salt.
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup coarse-grind Bulgar wheat
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1⁄2 red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dry-packed sun-dried tomatoes, soaked in water to rehydrate, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped pitted nicoise olives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (Italian)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro (fresh coriander)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
PRESERVED LEMON VINEGRETTE
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced preserved lemons or 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- In a small saucepan, bring the vegetable stock to a boil.
- Place the bulgur in a large, heat-proof bowl and pour in the boiling stock. Cover and let stand until the bulgur is tender and the liquid is completely absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas, onion, tomatoes, olives, parsley, cilantro, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- PRESERVED LEMON VINEGRETTE:.
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, garlic, preserved lemon, cumin, paprika and ground coriander. Whisk in the olive oil until emulsified.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and toss gently to mix and coat evenly. Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl and serve immediately.