Recipe by Engrossed
From: "Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way" by Lorna Sass. "This refreshing grain salad has a Middle Eastern feel. Serve it with whole-wheat pita bread for a pleasing light lunch."
Top Review by Juenessa
This salad is light and refreshing! I did make a few changes to suit our tastes better. I used 1/2 cup of cilantro instead of parsley and 2 T of low-fat sour cream in place of the yogurt. I would've liked the bulgur to be less crunchy next time, so need to figure out how to cook it. On my bulgur package, it says just to soak in water for 30 minutes. Thanks, Engrossed!
For the Dressing
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, tightly packed including tender stems or 1⁄2 cup fresh dill or 1⁄2 cup of fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, grated and packed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon harissa (optional) or 1 pinch cayenne (optional)
For the Salad
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 1⁄2 cups cooked coarse bulgur or 2 1⁄2 cups cooked kamut or 2 1⁄2 cups cooked wheat berries or 2 1⁄2 cups cooked spelt
- 1 1⁄2 cups cucumbers, diced and seeded
- 1 cup radishes, diced or 1 cup plum tomatoes, finely diced or 1⁄3 cup pickled turnip, diced
- 1⁄4 cup scallion top, thinly sliced (green onions)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a food processor or blender, blend the oil, lemon juice, parsley, yogurt, lemon zest, salt, and harissa (if using).
- In a large serving bowl, combine the chickpeas, bulgur, cucumbers, radishes, and scallion greens.
- Add the dressing and toss to coat.
- Let the salad sit for 5 minutes before serving.