Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 30 mins
NOTES : Korean Red Chili Pepper Powder "Gochu Garu" -- EXTREMELY HOT!!! -- use at your own risk! HINT: If using an electric skillet, cook the meat strips in small groups at the table. Remove pieces of meat from the skillet as they are cooked, and enjoy them immediately.
- 1 lb sirloin tip steaks or 1 lb rib eye steak, sliced very thin
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sesame seed oil
- 1 teaspoon roasted sesame seeds
- 1 bunch green onion, finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- korean red chili powder, gochu garu,to taste very hot (optional)
- 4 cups sticky rice, cooked ("Pahp")
- 2 bunches romaine lettuce, thick stems removed
- Cut the meat into thin bit-size 1" x 2" wide strips.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Add the meat to the marinade, one slice at a time; blend thoroughly.
- Let stand for at least one hour (preferably overnight) in the refrigerator.
- Barbecue beef over hot coals (or in an electric skillet) until done, but do not overcook.
- Serve hot by placing a piece of meat and some"Sticky-Rice" in a lettuce leaf-- roll up the lettuce leaf and eat.
Great recipe. I've spent a lot of time in Korea, and this bulgogi is as good as any I ever had there. I like putting the meat on small skewers and grilling them. They make great appetizers.