Prep 3 hrs
Cook 8 mins
Delicious Korean recipe, good summer food. I'm not Korean, so I can't promise the authenticity, but it's definately good. I've played around with the marinade quite a bit, but this is the best I think I've got it.
- 1 lb sirloin steak
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 chopped scallions
- 3 cloves pressed or finely chopped garlic
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice wine
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon shredded ginger
- 2 tablespoons water
- Cut steak into pieces about 1 inch wide, 3-4 inches long, and 1/4 inch thick.
- Toast sesame seeds over medium high heat about 5 minutes until they start to turn dark brown.
- Place sesame seeds in a medium bowl and mix thoroughly with salt.
- To sesame salt, add remaining ingredients and mix into uniform marinade.
- Add sliced beef and mix thoroughly with marinade.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours mixing periodically to ensure beef is covered in marinade.
- Broil beef in oven about 3-4 minutes on each side, or until done.
- Alternatively grill over charcoal a couple minutes on each side.
- Serve over rice with pieces of lettuce.
- Eat wrapped up in lettuce, or use some rice wrappers and place beef, rice, and lettuce in them and roll up.
- Serve with kimchee, and a little kochu chang sp?
- (Korean bean paste).
Great, great recipe, Kevin. Your Mom and I really enjoyed it! We ate it as a rice paper roll-up, using crisp/tart apples, rice noodles, and peanut sauce as a filling with the bulgogi. I doubled the recipe and we still just barely had enough left over for lunch tomorrow. I used our George Foreman Grill and cooked the meat about 4 minutes.
Very, Very good!!! I spent time in Korea while in the military, and absolutely love Bulgogi! I am so glad I can make it at home now, thanks to you....and I don't have to search for a Korean restaurant! Thanks so much for posting!
Wow - this is fantastic. The only change I made was to leave out the extra salt. I doubled the recipe with great results. Thanks!!!