Recipe by lisa_diamond
Found this recipe during my travels in Asia.
Top Review by willstogs
awesome recipe, i made a few changes like sub. italian for water, hard to find the szechwan pepper; so i used some szechwan marinade, used minced garlic beacuse thats what all i had, but it turned out great, thanks for the recipe
- 4 lbs short rib of beef (can also use tri tip, and flank steak)
- 2⁄3 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup sesame oil
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, lightly toasted and crushed
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon szechwan pepper, ground
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim beef to 1/2" thick pieces. If you are using tri tip or flank steak, be sure to cut across the grain.
- Combine everything except for the beef in large a ziplock bag. Close the bag and massage the bag until everything is well mixed. Add the beef. Be sure the bag is closed tightly. Massage again until all of the meat is completely coated. Place in the refrigerator for 4 - 6 hours. Turn the bag occasionally during this process to ensure it marinates evenly.
- When you are ready to cook, remove the beef from the bag and pour the marinade into a small bowl. Meat can be grilled on a BBQ (this is the traditional method), broiled or even pan fried. Based on the thinness of your beef, it will take between 3-6 minutes to cook per side. Be sure to brush on additional marinade when you flip the meat.