Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is am easy way to make a healthy burrito wrap. Extra lean ground beef can be substituted.
- 1 lb ground buffalo meat or 1 lb ground elk or 1 lb ground venison or 1 lb extra lean beef
- 4 large soft tortillas
- 2 1⁄2 cups refried beans
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- sour cream
- Spray skillet with cooking spray.
- Add spices and salt to ground meat and cook until done.
- Combine beans and rice in a saucepan.
- Heat on low until warm through (or microwave).
- Place tortillas in a folded damp towel and place in the oven on low.
- Place a warm tortilla on plate, keeping other tortillas covered.
- Place 1/4 bean mixture and meat on flat tortilla, leaving 2 inches at bottom of tortilla so it can be folded up.
- Add 1/4 cheese, salsa, sour cream, lettuce or anything else that sounds good.
- Fold up the bottom and roll the sides around.
Excellent burrito. I used the bison as I usually keep some in the freezer since it's so easy to get here on the prairies. Simply loved the use of brown rice (something that I always keep but seriously under use). The seasonings were right on point and so good. Used reduced fat cheddar and skipped the lettuce. Would certainly make again.
We loved this easy to make, great tasting burrito! You were not exaggerating when you said they were bulging! I used ground venison, lavash for the tortilla, and hot pepper jack cheese instead of cheddar. I also omitted the sour cream as I am not a big fan. I picked a medium spicy salsa and chopped up a little fresh tomato as a topping. I added a little bit of salt to the brown rice/refried bean mixture. This was fast, easy and I really enjoyed it. It was even really good when I had another burrito for leftovers for lunch today. I'd definitely make this again. Thanks!
These were great! I ground up vension from DH's deer this year, so nice and fresh/frozen, lol. I didn't use up all the beans specified for each burrito. Just enough to add the flavor. I did sprinkle with salt just before rolling up. Very filling and great for a winter's lunch! We will be having the rest for dinner and I'm going to have to add some cheese, with cutting back on the beans which I'm sure must add the additional calories, cheese is allowed I think, lol.