Recipe by zeldaz51
A quick whole-grain side dish. The bulghur will be slightly al dente; if you prefer it softer, add 1/4 c. more liquid and cook an extra 5 minutes. From "Diabetes Cooking for Everyone", by Carol Gelles. Exchanges: 1/2 bread, 3/4 vegetable, 1/4 fat.
Top Review by threeovens
You just cannot go wrong with bulgur! I served this as my entire lunch by itself. I will be making this often. I like to use bulgur in place of rice and it is much quicker and easier to cook as well as having protein in it as well.
- 4.92 ml olive oil
- 177.44 ml chopped red bell pepper
- 118.29 ml chopped onion
- 236.59 ml chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 118.29 ml medium bulgur
- 236.59 ml peas (fresh or frozen)
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh parsley
- 0 tsp.ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 2-qt. nonstick saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the peppers and onion and cook, stirring, until slightly softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil. Add the remaining ingredients and return to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered 15 minutes, or until all the liquid has been absorbed.