Recipe by Nelka
This is a recipe I have not tried yet but I found it in an old book about traditional Bulgarian cooking and it sounded great. I decided to share it so here it is. If you happen to try it, please share how it came out and what kind of cheese you used. By the way, I'm guessing at preparation and cooking times.
- 3 lbs tomatoes
- 1 cup rice
- 9 ounces cheese, grated (use something yellow, not feta, blue cheese, or Ricotta cheese)
- parsley, fresh and chopped
- 4 ounces sausage (optional if you ask me)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil (I would say it is also optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Hollow the tomatoes (reserve the pulp) and salt lightly.
- Boil the rice and let it cool.
- Add the grated cheese, chopped parsley, finely cubed sausage, paprika, salt, and black pepper, to taste, to the rice.
- Stuff the tomatoes with the rice mixture.
- Arrange tomatoes in a greased oven dish over the grated tomato pulp.
- Pour the oil over the tomatoes (I would skip that part though).
- Bake in a medium hot oven.