1/4 Photos of Bulgarian Tomato Dumpling Soup
1 hr 25 mins
Make sure to prepare in a pot with a large diameter to allow dumplings to rise to the top. This recipe is posted for Zaar World Tour 2005. I haven't tried it but it is from Sundays at Moosewood.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 2 -3 teaspoons hot chili powder
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups vegetable stock or 4 cups tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup couscous
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill weed (1 tsp dried)
- 1/3 cup milk or 1/3 cup vegetable stock
- 1In a medium soup pot, saute the onions and garlic in oil, stirring frequently until onions begin to soften.
- 2Add the tomatoes and cook until the onions are golden and the tomatoes are soft.
- 3Stir in the chili powder, flour, salt, and pepper an mix well.
- 4Pour in the stock slowly while whisking to completely dissolve the flour.
- 5Coarsely blend the soup in a blender or food processor and return it to the pot.
- 6Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- 7As soup simmers, prepare the dumplings. Cream the butter with the egg yolks.
- 8Place the couscous in a small bowl; pour the boiling water over the couscous, cover the bowl with a plate and allow it to steam for 5 minutes.
- 9Add the steamed couscous and the flour, salt, dill, and milk or stock to the butter mixture and blend well.
- 10In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff and then fold them into the couscous mixture.
- 11Drop the dumpling batter into the simmering soup by rounded tablespoons and cook, covered for about 15 minutes.
- 12The dumplings will rise to the top.
- 13To test dumplings, scoop one out and check to see if it is thoroughly cooked before serving.
- 14Serve hot, topped with fresh parsley and cheddar cheese.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bulgarian Tomato Dumpling Soup
Serving Size: 1 (287 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 267.9
- Calories from Fat 120
- Total Fat 13.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 74.0 mg
- Sodium 575.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 7.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: