Prep 8 hrs
Cook 2 hrs
Adapted from Pan American's Complete Around the World Cookbook. Prep time includes overnight soaking of beans.
- 2 cups dry white beans
- 1 cup olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- 4 onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- Soak beans overnight in cold water.
- Add fresh water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, or until tender.
- Heat oil in a saucepan.
- Add onions and saute 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add beans, paprika, salt, thyme and vinegar.
- Cook over low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot or cold.